Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Flying Down Highway 102

I swear, my mother's words traveled down Highway 102 and came flying out of my mouth earlier today...

"Would you talk to your teacher that way?" I asked my three year old after he protested something random I asked of him. I honestly don't even remember my request, but that's beside the point.

If you're reading this Mom, then I suppose your teachings stuck with me a tad more than you thought at the time, eh? Lol.

After my amusement at what I had just spoken, trying to hide the half smile on my face from my son, I contemplated this very concept:

Why do we as human beings, at times, give more respect to those we barely know, rather than to those we love most? After tossing this back and forth in my mind all day, my analysis took shape.

I mean, I'm probably more polite to the lady at the checkout counter in Walmart than I have been in years past to my own family members. Ever do that? It's not real though. You put on a fake smile, say you're doing well... Ask how she is doing, in her little blue vest, with her required twenty pieces of flair on it...

(Anyone catch that allusion? Diehard Office Space fanatic here.)

Sometimes I'm tempted to tell it how it is.

"I'm doing horribly, thank you for asking. My son is overdue for a nap, I'm tired of reading signs in Spanish, and I have a deadline I'm late on."

Yeah right. I'll stick with the fake stuff for people I don't know.

My point exactly. Save the real stuff for people I'm comfortable with. The true life stuff. Coarse. Sucky at times. But that's life. Thank the good Lord the happy days outweigh the not-so-good ones, right? :)


In continuation, showing lack of verbal respect usually occurs when the guilty party is upset with the said loved one. The guilty party has a high comfort zone with the said loved one. Therefore, the guilty party feels comfortable opening themselves up to sharing the frustration through the venting of their frustration on the said loved one. While this level of comfort is a good thing (It shows trust.), it can temporarily harm the relationship through utterly verbose streams of nonsense.

Here's the bottom line: If you find yourself in the shoes of the guilty party (wildly waving hand here), take a step back. Take a breath, and explain to your loved one that you only had a temporary slip of the tongue due to your high level of trust and comfort with the object of your most unnecessary negati-

Seriously. Like that battle plan would work in a heated verbal war. Lol.

Anyway, you get the point.

Random thoughts for the day...

Take 'em or leave 'em.

It's 2am here.
I'm freaking tired.
How insane am I to be up at this hour blogging about analytical nonsense I've been tossing around?

Don't answer that.

Goodnight all.






No comments: