Monday, August 28, 2006

Safe Zone

This past weekend, I shopped with the one goal of adding more color to my wardrobe. If a person was to open my closet, she would see a seemingly neverending sea of black. Black. And more black.

Why is this, I wonder? It's classic. Slimming. (Which I so need.) ~And it doesn't show stains! ~A huge plus to evey stay at home mom. Yet, I'm beginning to wonder, is it because black is part of my "safe zone"? Just a personal preference?

Countless times in life, we as human beings cower in the "safe zone", whether unknowingly or on purpose. I'm trying to break out of it. I'm trying to execute the unexpected every once in a while. I recently changed my hairstyle. I poured my heart out on a scrapbook page. I'm trying new recipes. The point is, get out of the comfort zone. Slide down slides at the playground with the kiddos. Jump in a mud puddle. Buy an article of clothing that you like, but you don't think is "you". Try that new hairstyle you've seen in a magazine.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the "safe zone". I think my black sweater and jeans look pretty darn good today. Just don't get boxed in. Step outside of the boundaries every once in a while.

Tomorrow, I think I'll wear green.

No comments: